Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Ishmael

Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now.
Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. 
You are not obligated to complete
the work, but neither are you free to abandon it. – The Talmud


I was on my lunch break today, sitting on a bench in the shade, and drinking an over-priced smoothie from the newest iteration of downtown hipster restaurants. There was a good breeze and I was looking forward to catching up on a blog while I sat there.  A homeless man walked by and caught my eye, he was holding these pretty little pictures that he obviously drew. 

He sat down with me, and somehow or another, we started talking. Well, he talked and I listened. I tried to nod and smile at the appropriate moments, he was a fast talker. His name is Ishmael. He's from Ethiopia and is about to be deported back there. He came here to seek asylum.  Talking to him, you can tell his high education level. Ishmael told me he was an engineer and professor but that in the U.S. he couldn't find a job for those things.  He kept calling me 'sunshine' even after he asked my name.  He is angry about how he has been treated by people here. I can't help but agree.  He is angry at the obscene wealth that some people have, and how wasteful they are while other people are starving.  I agree again - (suddenly not wanting the rest of my over-priced smoothie). 

I kept waiting for the part where he asks me for money. It never comes.  Ishmael looked at me at one point, and smiled, said "Sunshine, I'm sorry for taking up so much of your time." In that moment, I got a little glimpse of who he was before he came here.  A proud and educated man, well-dressed and handsome. Even now you can tell the clothes he has on were nice, he has style. 

Finally, I asked to look at his drawings. He said he could draw a new one for me but I declined saying that my break was almost over. I asked if I could buy him lunch in trade for the picture since I didn't have any cash.  It is clear he would prefer cash but he settles on lunch. 

We walked into Starbucks together and I kept getting sideways glances from people as I was helping him to find something that looked good to eat. He chose an edamame wrap and an orange juice, water please but no ice.  They give him a water with ice. At first, he was only going to take the juice to which I laughed and said that won't fill you up.  Ishmael got kind of shy and said he didn't want to take advantage of me. While I was paying, the cashier wouldn't make eye contact with me. 

My hands were full and he made a big deal about opening the door for me. As we were saying good-bye he gave me a little bow. I told him to take care. He told me that he was going to be in town for the next couple of days and wants to say good-bye, asking where I'd be.  I'll admit, I didn't want to tell him where I work so I said,  I'll be around here. He kind of smiled at that and walked away.

I walked back to my work, where I make far too much money, with not even half the education that he has. 

My over-priced smoothie is sitting on my desk next to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment